Thursday, May 30, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day : Torii Hunter ( ROMLB Sweet Spot )

With the Dodgers facing the Angels from Orange County this week I thought I would touch base with one of the more favorable Angels from the past few years.

Torii no longer plays for the Angels but when he was on the team he was a joy to watch. He always played to the fullest and seemed to never take anything for granted. A rumor that was floated around is that he was on the way to visit the Dodgers in his free agent year and was headed off at the pass by Arte Moreno ( Angels owner ) and offered him a contract that negated any need or reason to meet the Dodgers. Yet another coup for the red team. He has now moved onto the Tigers of Detroit and with Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder in the fold for years to come Torii has a decent chance to reach 2500 hits. He has already surpassed 2000 and he is a young 37 so I think and hope it will happen for him.

When he was with the Angels he did a few public appearances around the area but every time I wanted to go to the event either it was on a day I already had something planned or from what I heard on the way down to the staging area it was overly packed and there would probably be no chance of acquiring an autograph. So I never got the chance to meet this very popular player and I had to go onto eBay to try to acquire his signature.

While not overly expensive I didn't feel that his signature should cost me more than $40 which almost every seller had their price at. There were very few auctions and if they did exist their reserve was too high for my taste. Keep my eye out for months and finally someone had a buy it now for a PSA authenticated version for just a couple dollars south of $30. It was from a seller in Canada and maybe he didn't know they sold for more or just wanted to get rid of it. Either way, I picked it up and have now added this to my collection. Prefer to have met him but sometimes you can't always have what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment