Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bobblehead of the Day : Vin Scully ( Season Ticket Holder Limited Edition )

... well I started this series last year but I veered off a little and never got back to my last three I wanted to post about so I am back on it for the next three days.



Vin Scully has been asked year in and year out by the Dodgers to have a bobblehead made in his likeness but he always turned them down but in 2012 it finally changed. This was the 50th anniversary of Dodger Stadium and his words were I probably won't be around to celebrate the 100th so he finally allowed a bobblehead to be made. The standard edition was given out in August and unlike the Koufax special edition this one is almost identical to the stadium giveaway with one visual difference. There is a little baseball on the desk where Vin is sitting.




As with the Koufax special edition season ticket holders had to buy 2 or 4 tickets to a game in April or May to acquire one or both of the special editions. I chose to have both in my collection. Though Sandy's is visually more satisfying the Scully one harks back to one of the most famous moments in Dodger baseball. 1988 was the last year the Dodgers were in the World Series and Kirk Gibson delivered one of the most dramatic home runs in baseball history as he had no right to even be at the plate in the pivotal moment of the game. Vin described the scene perfectly and this bobble has the home run call on a sound chip. This is where the little baseball on the desk comes into play. By pressing down on it it plays about a minute of Vin's famous call of Kirk's home run. Still brings chills to the spine and at the same time it is bittersweet as the Dodgers haven't been back to the Fall Classic since then. It has been a long 25 years.





This is a great bobble to own and I love how it is numbered just like the Koufax one. Odds of me ever getting this signed are remote but even if I never accomplish that goal it still has Vinny's essence stored on it. We are nearing the end of the great Vin's career and hopefully with this team assembled he can call at least one more Dodger World Series win.

No comments:

Post a Comment