Saturday, November 26, 2016

Card of the Day - 1956 Topps : Sandy Koufax Base BVG Graded Very Good-Excellent 4.0


And here it is. The final piece. Such a satisfying feeling when you finish a project that while doable seemed to destined to be a multi year pursuit but in the end took less than 12 months.

Sandy does not have that many numbered cards in the modern sets that are released by Topps and while I chase after them there just isn't that many. I decided that I wanted to do a vintage project and what better subject than Mr. Koufax. After debating on what I would go after I decided on a 12 card goal which would be a card from every year that Sandy played in the majors which was from 1955 to 1966. 1 year 1 card. No league leader subsets or anything else. Just the main card in each set. The kicker was that they had to be in BVG cases and while I knew I would come across my fair share I knew that a lot of times there would not be one for a specific year. Out of the 12 cards I ended up acquiring 2 raw and submitting it to BVG for encasing. Since I didn't really care what condition the cards were in (no major visual issues were to be accepted though) it freed up some choices.

While I thought his rookie card from 1955 would be the hardest it ended up being this 1956 to be the final piece of the Koufax puzzle. During all the time I was picking these up I only came across a few BVG graded ones and each had an ending price that I was not comfortable with. My timing was perfect when this came up on a simple BIN as I had just sold some books and with a click of the button my project was completed.


Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment