Thursday, February 7, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day : Steve Garvey ( ROMLB Sweet Spot )

Autograph Alley at Dodger Stadium is now second nature to me as I have visited many times to see past Dodgers to get their autographs. I've even gotten L.A. Kings autographs as well when they have had theme nights about them. But back in 2009 it was Opening Day and this would be my first time to venture over behind the Pavilions to get an autograph. It was announced that the Dodgers would have Ron Cey, Bill Russell, Steve Yeager and Steve Garvey on hand to sign for fans prior to the game. Now I knew it would be crowded due to it being Opening Day and that the quality of signers was higher than most times out there. The gates opened a little after 10 for the 1 p.m. game but I was running late and didn't get there til a little after 11. You could see with the traffic it was packed and it was still two hours til game time. I got over to the Alley and noticed a line of about 150 people and everyone was waiting for Steve Garvey. So I took my place in line with my wife and waited for Steve to arrive. Ron had already left so I missed out on him and Steve Yeager was the least of the ones I wanted to get so I was going to forsake his to insure I got Garey's. I did end up with Russell's which I will recap in another post. The wife was kind enough to hold our spot as I went to the front of the line to make sure I was standing in the right line just in case I was misinformed on who it was for. I saw Yeager with only about 3 people waiting for him so I said what the hell as no one minded me jumping the line to get his so I went to go get one of the balls to sign and went back to Yeager's line which was now about 10 deep. I stood in line for my turn when I saw Garvey walk around the table to sit down. He started talking to a few handlers and then sat down right in front of me. Well, I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth so I turned to my left and handed him the ball that I was waiting for Yeager to sign and at the same time I glanced back to the line that had grown to at least 200 and a few people noticed what I had just did and were not too happy about it except one person who had a smirk which reeked of jealousy. So Garvey signed my ball and I accomplished the main goal of the day. I looked back towards where Yeager was sitting but he had left when I was dealing with Garvey but I no biggie, I got Garvey. Headed back to the wife who was still in line and told her I got what I came for and she was more than happy to get out of the hot line. Beautiful wife, Opening Day, Dodgers and a Steve Garvey autograph. A perfect day.




No comments:

Post a Comment