Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day : Rick Monday ( ROMLB Sweet Spot )

Current broadcaster and former Dodger star Rick Monday. Tonight he will have his first bobblehead released by the Dodgers and he is not even in Dodger blue but that is ok due to the incident that the bobble is depicting.

Rick played for the Dodgers from 1977 to 1984. I remember watching him on tv when I was a kid and was in awe when hit that home run in Montreal in the summer of '81. I was 6 at the time and didn't know all the ends and out of baseball but I knew that it was the ninth inning and they just had to win. Rick hit a mammoth home run in that inning which provided the difference in the Dodger's win. They went on to win the World Series that year against the Yankees. He was a very important role player on the team or least this little boy thought he was. The other claim to fame in his career was the flag saving incident in 1976. The Cubs were visiting that day and Rick played for them in the outfield and two protesters ( idiots, if you hate America, leave ) ran on to the field and tried to light our flag on fire until Rick ran in literally to save the day and flag. Great play Rick and I will show off the bobble a little later in the week.

I have never been fortunate to run into Rick at the stadium so when he did a signing last year at Frank and Sons in Walnut I couldn't pass up on getting his signature on a ball. It was one of the many Dodgerfests that they hold during the year so it was crowded but for Rick not so much. When I arrived the line for him was not longer than 15-20 people. Got up to his station and gave him a ball and he signed it on the sweet spot. Though not overally personable he did say hello and thank you for coming which in the end is always the minimal I like to hear. I was in and out in under ten minutes. The ink on the ball seems to be bleeding a little so somewhere down the road I might need to acquire another copy but until then I am happy to have this in my collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment