Monday, May 9, 2016

BGS Submission Result Number SIXTEEN - 2015 Topps Strata : Sandy Koufax Base Autograph Black Parallel (26/50) Now BGS Graded Mint 9.0


2015 Topps Strata Sandy Koufax Black Autograph (26/50)

This is my 3rd Koufax autograph in my collection and the first that I am afraid might actually earn 9. I was lucky enough to pick up a Topps Five star in raw form and submitted it to BGS and it came back with a 9.5. Nice! I then picked up an already graded gem mint of Koufax from Topps Finest and thought I was nearing my cap on Koufax autos as they are pricey to come by. Well I ended up with one on hell of a deal and hoped to add it as my 3rd 9.5 Koufax auto but depending on one sub grade that streak may or may not end.

With the naked eye everything looks fine but under closer inspection on the back side of this card one of the edges has an issue. Enough to knock its sub grade to an 8.5? If so then this card has no chance at a gold banner but if somehow it can hold the line at a 9 then I could claim my 3rd gem as I do not see anything else wrong with this card. Hoping for a 9.5 but expecting a 9.

The streak comes to a close.


I have never owned a non 9.5 autograph of Koufax until this one but even with the "disappointing" return here there is no way I am unloading the card as it is still a great piece for my collection. You know you have it good when a 9 is the worst one in your collection.


I knew going in that the corners/surface would be an issue and I expected an 8.5 on at least one of those subs and surface was the lucky recipient of an 8.5. Corners didn't do too much better but at least they earned a 9. All said though I am satisfied with this card the way it is and glad that I own it.


The all important 10 on autograph

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment