Friday, April 26, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day - Player Appearance Recap : Blake DeWitt ( ROMLB Sweet Spot )

I personally almost forgot I had this one as this was one of my first autographs and I can tell that by the pen coloring on the ball. It looks like it was blue but I can't really tell. This was during my trial and error period of collecting. We all have to start somewhere.

Blake was the underdog that made it to the big leagues from AA due to multiple injuries to the club. He wasn't terrible nor was he great but he was a decent player and was always easy to root for due to his status of being an underdog. He didn't spend too much time with the Dodgers but what time he did he did his job and that is all you can ask. He is currently with the Atlanta Braves.

Back in July of 2008 Blake was doing a public signing at Staples in Los Angeles. If I am correct this was my first time I ever went on a free public signing so I wasn't sure of technique or time arrival or such. So I decided to arrive around 2 hours beforehand and to my surprise there was no one there yet. I went to go have some breakfast and during that I glanced over and saw around 20 people. I thought people sure arrive en masse at these events. I walked back over and jumped in line. Blake arrived on time and started signing. I got up to the table and ask if he would mind a picture which he didn't. I seem to have lost that pic as well. He signed the ball and I said thank you and headed out. As I was leaving I looked at the line outside and it was at least 100 deep and thought this can be a time consuming hobby. Oh how I wish signings were as simple as this one was nowadays. A naive collector got his first IP autograph and learned a few ins and outs of the hobby as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment