Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Card of the Day - 2016 Topps : Mike Trout Base Photo Variation BGS Graded Gem Mint 9.5


Photo variations of base Topps cards really are becoming my 2nd favorite type (autographs 1st always) of cardboard to chase after and any that have Mike Trout as the subject matter are hard to come by and usually with a high price tag attached to them. To take it one step further if it is in a BGS case with a 9.5 attached to it then it just got pricier. Well since I am really roping in my collecting tendencies I can save up and just get the cards I really want when I have enough instead of worrying about every color from every set Topps release. With all that said I finally landed this year's variation of Trout from Topps flagship set.

The main reason I waited for months to pick this up was to make sure I acquired it in a BGS case as this set has been condition sensitive for me and a lot of collectors so I did not want to pick up a raw version of this card and have it come back to me in a grade I was not happy with. The next problem was that there are not that many graded copies of this card (at the time of this write up only 5 exist in 9.5 form) and I had already seen 1 on eBay sell. Well I just kept selling comic codes and a few cards that I had no interest in anymore till I felt I had enough to pick this up when one appeared again on the bay. One finally did and after 18 bids and a last minute one by me I finally claimed 1 of the 5 in the world that has been certified gem mint by BGS.

Sets would be more visually attractive if Topps would use photos like these in their main releases instead of short printed photo variations but then I wouldn't have as much fun trying to hunt one down so I guess keep on doing what you are doing Topps.


Minty !

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment