Sunday, July 31, 2016

Card of the Day - 2014 Topps High Tek : Mike Trout Base Black and White Parallel (14/15)


A small but important little project is complete with this card's acquisition and considering the print run is only 15 I am very surprised that I was able to complete it this quickly.

At the beginning of the year I was able to land a Koufax black and white parallel from the 2014 Topps High Tek set for a steal and I turned it into a BGS gem mint 9.5 card. With that in hand I decided I wanted to also acquire the Kershaw and Trout versions and I thought it would take some time to do that since the print run was so small and the demand for Trout is always high. I ended up getting the Kershaw on a surprisingly low priced eBay auction which left me with only Trout here to complete my trio of black and white parallels.

I saw one that was already graded a PSA 9 which I did not want so that left me 1 of 14 copies that I could try to find. 1 of those was on a BIN eBay auction for $150. Scratch that off the list which meant I was down to 13. Saw that another sold on eBay awhile back before I started this project and that knocked my attainable copies to 12. Enter this card. It popped up on eBay with a price a little over the triple digit threshold. Reasonable but still too much for my liking. I had my own auctions ending so I had the funds to acquire it but I decided to haggle and after a few days I was able to get the price down to a much more likable point for me. I had the card in hand a few days later and think it is a prime candidate for a gold banner from BGS.


Fourteen
of
Fifteen

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment