Saturday, May 20, 2017

Card of the Day - 2016 Topps Chrome : Julio Urias Base Autograph Orange Refractor Parallel (16/25) BGS Graded Gem Mint 9.5


Well patience is a virtue and a good thing it can also be a stressful thing as you try to wait out fellow collectors and the seller of a card that you want but are determined to acquire at your point and not theirs.

I have been debating on what autograph rainbow of Urias I would pursue in earnest. The options were either the 2014 Bowman Chrome set (considered prospect cards not "rookie" ones) or the 2016 Topps Chrome set which is considered his true rookie cards. I think the Bowman ones are far better looking than these Topps ones but in the end I went with Topps so I can match it up with my Corey Seager rainbow autograph project from the same year. I had the base Urias in hand and the Purple had just been recently acquired so it made sense to me to just continue on the Topps path rather than go back to 2014.


Knowing the Red (#/5) parallel is a pipe dream to pick up the next color with a low print run is this Orange (#/25) and probably the hardest one to nab in the future if he does (as expected) well I focused on this bad boy the minute it popped up. The problem was I had zero funds and the asking price was crazy high so all I did was put it on my watch list and see what and when it would sell.

I keep selling a few cards here and there and added some comic sales and still this Orange beauty was available and that was even with the price coming down. Finally I was within shouting distance of having the funds to pay for this as the price had come down far enough. To top it off that day also was on a 10% eBay eBucks promotion so I decided to contact the seller and asked if he would drop the price $20 more as it just continued to go unsold. No counter no hassle and he changed the price and I nabbed this after months of waiting and watching the asking price go down 50%. Nice...!

The hardest color of the rainbow (other than the Red) is now in and I should be able to complete the rainbow sometime this year as the other colors are usually readily available.


Sixteen
of
Twenty-Five

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment