Thursday, August 29, 2013

Card of the Day - 2011 Topps Marquee : Matt Kemp Titanic Threads Autograph ( 7 / 10 )

So I finally acquired a card that had no book value to look up as the print run is so small that Beckett doesn't have enough transaction history to publish. I normally wouldn't go for a card like that but I just had to have this card for so many reasons.

I can never get enough Matt Kemp autograph cards and this one has him depicted in throwback Brooklyn Dodgers colors. I didn't own anything of that sort yet. The card is also number 7 out of only 10. 7 happens to be my lucky number and the number I base all my bids on for the most part. I know a lot of people say that is their lucky number but for me it is my marriage number so I have every right to say its lucky and mean it. This card also has a big swatch of jersey which I have never owned of that size. It wasn't a deal breaker but it does look great in a screw down. And to top it off it has a nice crisp blue signature of Kemp. Add that all together and I had to have this card in my collection.

Now, the problem is that I didn't know what my ceiling per se should have been on this transaction as the only transaction history on eBay was a couple of months ago with the ending price at $95. No matter what even though I really wanted this card I wasn't going to pay anywhere near that amount. The one thing I had going for me is once again like past auctions with Kemp's down season his cards can be had at a bargain right now. The seller had this auction with a starting bid of .99 so obviously there was going to be a bidding war. I was actually out of town in San Diego to watch the Dodgers at Petco when this auction was scheduled to end so I had to rely on my phone for bidding. If this was Dodger Stadium I probably could have kissed this card good bye as there is no reception there as most people know. Luckily Petco is different and I had a strong signal. The auction went back and forth for the last minute with me getting outbid numerous times but in the end with a total of 26 different bids I won the card. All I can say is I paid less than half of that previous transaction of $95 and with no book value I can only say that is a major coup as I think when Kemp comes back around to his normal self this card will probably be closer to $75-100. No intention in selling or trading but as always I love to know I got value from my transaction.


Big, Bold Bison 7 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment