Monday, August 12, 2013

Card of the Day - 2013 Topps Museum : Hyun-Jin Ryu Blue Bordered Variant ( 63 / 99 )

I went half way across the world to acquire a much needed card and couldn't believe the price I paid for it.

I've been trying to finish up my blue bordered variant set and was down to just Ryu and Jackie with Ryu being the hardest to acquire due to what I suspect is that he has Asia and USA appeal and that it is a rookie card to boot. I have lost out on at lest 10 different auctions with the prices ranging from $13 to $30. I wanted the card but was not going to overpay. Book value is $25 so anything over $20 for me was a non starter. At the same time I know that there are only 99 copies of these so I had to patient but still be somewhat aggressive.

I don't normally buy items on eBay from other countries but this card showed up by a seller in Japan. That is a long way from home for me but he had a starting bid of .99 cents and I kept my eye on it. Auction was nearing its end with the price still at just $5. Thought there was no way it would stay that low. I put my bid in with just seconds left and couldn't believe I just won the card for a little over $9 delivered from Japan to my doorstep here in the USA. That is a steal in my book. Paying single digits for a $25 card of a variant rookie is a good day any day. With this card I am just one step from completing the set and the only one left is the man that broke baseball's color barrier, Jackie Robinson.


From Korea via Japan 63 / 99

No comments:

Post a Comment