Sunday, August 10, 2014

Card of the Day - 2013 Topps Update : Sandy Koufax Commemorative Copper Coin Insert ( 64 / 99 )

I am really digging these manufactured commemorative cards that Topps continue to do. They are quite eye popping and I love the thickness of the cards. I have already picked up multiple Kemp cards but I have been on the look out for two classic Dodgers, Roy Campanella and Sandy Koufax. One down and one to go with the acquisition of Sandy here.

I had seen this card up on eBay for months and with it being numbered to just 99 it seemed like every one was up for sale during that time as I constantly lost each auction as I just wasn't going to go over my set amount. There are 3 versions of this coin, a copper one like this one numbered to 99, a wrought iron one numbered to 50 and then a steel one numbered to a mere 10 copies. Though I preferred the color of the wrought iron one I set my eyes on the copper due to me just wanted any version I can get my hands on and with 99 copies I thought it would be the easier of the two.

Beckett has this valued at $50 and each auction I lost was at least $28 with some topping $32+. Frustrating but I wasn't going to bend and the patience paid off as I won this one for almost 70% off of book. A great buy of a great player on a great looking card. The coin itself is heavy and detailed and a very welcome addition to my collection.


Front view showing off his 26 wins from 1965


Back view celebrating the Dodgers winning the 1965 NL Pennant 


64 of a scant 99

No comments:

Post a Comment