Saturday, March 14, 2015

Card of the Day - 2015 Topps : Clayton Kershaw Base Silver Frame Parallel (19/20)


The calendar turned the page from 2014 to 2015 and for the first time since I re-entered the hobby I was not going to collect any cards from the flagship Topps brand. I had been collecting the blue (wal-mart) and red sparkle parallels but I decided to move away from those and just concentrate on high end brands (5 Star, Dynasty, etc) and the black and blues of Topps and Bowman Chrome. Great plan right? It was till Topps came out with a new parallel that I absolutely love.

Topps has had framed cards for years and I have/had my fair share of them. Last year I collected the Jackie cards (sold them) and I went after autograph Museum cards (Adrian which I still have) but Topps had never gone the full parallel set of frame cards till now. Ugh. If they were gold I would have passed but damn these silvers are good looking. Of course the Dodgers have a lot of players represented in the set so let the hunting begin.

I expected Kershaw to be the priciest Dodger on my wish list and him having two cards in the 1st series meant twice the cost for Kershaw cards. Sigh. As of yet I have not seen his "base" card show up on the bay but I did find this one on a traditional auction. There had been one completed sale and I wasn't looking to get into a bidding war. I reached out to the seller to see if he would do a buy it now on the card. I sent him my offer price but didn't hear from him for a day and half. No bids on the card yet and then he contacted me back and stated he would do the deal. Purchased the card and completed the transaction. Days later another copy of this card sold for almost $30 above the price I acquired it for. Great timing but thanks to Topps I now have another parallel set to collect. Having Kershaw in the fold is a good start though.


19
of
20

1 comment: