Saturday, August 13, 2016

Card of the Day - 1957 Topps : Sandy Koufax Base


Just....two....more
So very close and yet still a big hurdle to get over.

As many of you know I have been working very hard to acquire a card from each year that Sandy Koufax played in the majors which was 1955 through 1966. A total of 12 cards for my project and with this 1957 addition I now sit just 2 away from completing said project. 1956 and 1958 are still needed and since they hail from loved sets from the 1950's they are hard to come by at a bargain just like this 1957 was.

I had not seen many copies of this 1957 card for sale prior to seeing this copy and around the same day this one popped up a BVG graded one also came up for sale. I preferred to have that one but the seller was unwilling to move off his high amount so I turned my attention to this one. While this one is not graded (yet) the asking price was close to the graded version but the auction had a best offer option so began my quest to get the price down.

My 1st 2 offers were automatically rejected so I only had 1 last chance to snag it and I was not in the mood to negotiate between offers so I waited a couple days till I had some comic sales complete and sent over my firm and final offer which was over 35% off the seller's asking price. Expecting a reject email I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email stating that the seller accepted my offer with no counter.

Now with this in hand I await Beckett to come to town so I may submit it to get slabbed and even though I do not care what grade it receives I believe it will be somewhere between 3 and 4.5. Now to find those 1956 and 1958 copies to complete my vintage Koufax collection.

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment