Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Card of the Day - 2016 Topps Tribute : Clayton Kershaw Milestones Insert (Game Used Ball Relic From 100th Win On May 15th 2015) (5/10)


This card is an exception to my collection just like Clayton continues to be an exception to Pitchers in general.

When I decided to refocus (again) my collection habits earlier this year to just 4 players I also made the decision to not collect relic, game used material, etc unless it came with an on card autograph of 1 of the 4. I don't care for the relic but if the autograph was great then so be it. It did not enhance the card in my eyes as it was the autograph I cared about. Well low and behold here I am the owner of a game used relic card without an autograph on it as I purposely pursued it.

There are 2 things that made me want this card. Unlike 99% of all relic cards they are not guaranteed from which game it is taken from but this one has a MLB hologram sticker on it as this ball relic comes from the game Kershaw pitched on May 15th in 2015. Why is that important? That was his 100th career win and I happened to have been at the game to witness the W. Since Clayton is PC and once I found out this card existed I knew I had to add it to my collection.

With only 10 copies I went looking back at past Milestones cards of other players that Tribute has produced and I only had a ballpark amount of what this card would go for so off to eBay I went. There was one that had a ridiculous BIN price so I had no interest in that one. This one popped up on a traditional auction and the final price never got close to my price ceiling. Maybe I valued it too high but I am glad I picked it up for what I did. Off to BGS it goes to be encased and even though I would love a gold banner I believe it will come back with a silver 9 instead and I am OK with that as the memory of the card's subject is more important than the grade. Again, another reason this card is an exception to the norm.


Five
of only
Ten

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

1 comment: