Thursday, May 21, 2015

BGS Result Update Number Fifteen - 2014 Topps Five Star : Clayton Kershaw Base Autograph (4/50) Now Graded Gem Mint 9.5

Original pic and thoughts :



2014 Topps Five Star

Second of the two Kershaw autos in the submission and just like the other I am hoping for the best here. The "issue" with this one is that I can tell one corner is slightly not razor sharp. Question is will that at least earn a 9 so the other sub grades hopefully earn a 9.5 so I can yet have another gem mint Kershaw autograph in my collection? Hope so.

Result and thoughts :


The Five Star brand is my love/hate relationship in the hobby. These are just beautiful cards that I can't get enough of but they are a bitch when it comes to grading. The thickness of the cards causes a lot of corner issues and I have had my fair share of them. Even when everything else looks good they can drag the whole overall grade down. I have been lucky with Frank Thomas, Sandy Koufax and a couple others but then more than a handful others have been less than gem mint. I have never gotten a Kershaw Five Star in a 9.5 grade ... until now. 

I was really worried about one corner but thankfully it scored at least a 9. Signature is perfect as that earned a 10 and I am curious of what the other subs are going to come back as. All I know though is I have added another gem mint Kershaw autograph to the collection.

Final Submission Result and Thoughts :


We are now at the 15th recap post out of 18 and the final 9.5 gem mint return. This I deemed the best of the 9.5's due to the sub grades and what kind of card it is and of course the player involved. We are talking about the best pitcher in baseball, Mr. Clayton Kershaw.

My history with the Five Star brand and the 2013 issue specifically has been about 50/50 and when it has come to Kershaw it has always been on the wrong side. I have gems of Trout, Frank Thomas and the immortal Sandy Koufax. On the other hand Biggio, Gibson and others have struggled to earn a mint 9 with some earning 8.5's. The problem with this brand is that the thickness of the card invites corner issues and that is usually what marks my submissions down. Not this time !


Solid !!!

My one and only Koufax card came back with a gem mint grade with 3 9.5's and a 10 and now I can pare him with this beautiful Kershaw which came back with the exact same grades. It's hard enough getting an overall 9.5 on Five Star but to get a solid 9.5 is even rarer. When I received the RCR of 9.5 I breathed a sigh of relief as I really wanted a gem mint Five Star of Kershaw and now with the sub grades in it wasn't even close to a 9. 

A few Kershaws I might part with in the future, this is not one of them.
= )


Gem Mint all around

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment