Friday, February 19, 2016

Card of the Day - 2014 Topps : Clayton Kershaw Strata Autograph (13/25)


It is amazing how months of waiting on the sidelines and then one night of sleep can change the course of one's mentality when it comes to acquiring a card. That happened to me here.

I love the Strata brand but I love my cards graded a tad more. I had a beautiful Ken Griffey Jr. Strata that was raw graded as a 9.5 gem mint but BGS would never slab it as they said it was too thick even though I have seen others exactly like it slabbed AND I have a Pee Wee Reese in my collection that received the full slab treatment, I ended up letting the Ken go and decided even though I loved the Strata brand I would not pursue any more of them as there would be a good chance I could not get them fully graded. That thinking even applied to Kershaw and Trout as they both have Strata cards but I decided to keep this 2014 version on my watch list to see how much it would end up selling for as it books for $200-300 and the asking price on eBay was near the high end at the beginning of 2015.

So there the card sat on my watch list for the the duration of the calendar year with the cost dipping every couple of months till it was $40 under low end of book. Damn, it was starting to become too good of a bargain to pass up but I held firm to not acquiring it. I went to sleep one night and woke up and checked eBay to see what was new and saw that the seller of this card dropped the price once again and this time it became so low I couldn't ignore it anymore. I snagged a Strata autograph after I said I would never do it again but I just couldn't pass up such a bargain. Once the card made it to me I inspected it and if I was to submit it I believe it has a very good chance of earning a 9.5. I might just try my luck once again and submit it and cross my fingers that they slab it. Either way this is another great addition to my Kershaw autograph collection.


Thirteen
of
Twenty-Five

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment