Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day : David Ross ( ROMLB Sweet Spot )



David Ross was barely a Dodger and I didn't remember that fact until I was scouring through past Dodger players to see if I could acquire a signed ball of a former player. David came up to the Dodgers in 2002 but was gone by 2004 and has bounced around a few teams since then. He currently is a Red Sox player and this is his second go around with them as he was on the team back in 2008.

Seeing how until recently the Dodgers haven't had a good catcher let alone two decent ones it was typical Dodger mentality to ship out David and go all in with the "proven" veterans and over pay for their services. Brent Mayne or Koyle Hill anyone? Not saying that David would have been light years better than those two and other players but I would rather give a young player a chance than a veteran that you can tell is over the hill. Nonetheless, David has gone on to greener pastures but since he was a Dodger at one time I decided I needed to acquire a signed ball.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, then I'm the dumb ass. That is basically how I felt with this purchase. I bought a signed ball of Skip Schumaker awhile ago from a seller on eBay as it was a great deal but it came in so bad that I never even made a blog entry about it. Thankfully I was able to pick up Skip at the stadium prior to the end of the season. I ended up getting a refund but I tossed the ball in the trash. Well there are not many authenticated signed balls of David out there and once again that particular seller had one with a starting bid of 99 cents for a PSA certified sweet spot baseball. Told myself that I couldn't possible have another bad transaction with the same seller again could I? Yup I did. I ended up winning the ball for $12 shipped to me. A great bargain but I guess that is why it was a bargain. You might not be able to see it in the pic but the signature is already bleeding out when the ball arrived. Nowhere near as bad as the Skip ball but not what I like to see on my purchases. It is good enough for my collection just not up to par with the ones I normally acquire. Either way I learned my lesson to never buy from that seller again but I guess I got what I paid for. Reluctantly, welcome to the collection David.

No comments:

Post a Comment