Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Signed Ball of the Day : Mike Witt ( ROMLB Sweet Spot w/Perfect Game Inscription ) . . . AKA eBay Bucks Purchase Number 1

It's that time of the year once again. Every 3 months I get to use eBay bucks that I have accumulated over the previous 3 months from purchases for the family and myself. Usually I am able to get 3 different auctions/items with the bucks and this quarter is no different. The first item to make it to my doorstop, and the priciest of the 3, is a JSA authenticated signed baseball by former pitcher Mike Witt.

Normally I would never pursue an autograph of a player like this. He is a former Angel and had a very average career with a record of 117-116 and an ERA of 3.83. But his claim to fame is why I wanted this specific ball. On the last day of the season in 1984 he threw a perfect game. With me meeting Dennis Martinez, Don Larsen and acquiring other signed balls from perfect game pitchers I am on the lookout for all the other pitchers from this elite group. The one hitch is that I want the inscription of "perfect game" on the ball. That makes it more pricey to acquire though.

I lost out on a few auctions as I was unwilling to spend what the auctions closed for but this ball came up for bid right when the eBay quarter was ending and I knew I would have those funds sitting there for me to use. Most of the auctions for a Mike Witt ball closed at over $50 but I was able to snag this beauty for a tad under $46. A bargain if it came out of pocket but a steal since I was able to acquire it without putting any money out of pocket into the transaction. Added another signed ball by a perfect game thrower and happy on all levels. That's one eBay bucks transaction down, two more to go.


Mike Witt with his perfect game inscription

No comments:

Post a Comment