Friday, January 15, 2016

Card of the Day - 2015 Topps Tribute : Mike Trout Base Autograph Black Parallel (43/50) and eBay Bucks Quarterly Purchase Number Two


While yesterday's Topps High Tek Trout card was nice that to me was the appetizer while this card is the main course and then some. I wanted a nice big hit of Trout for my quarterly eBay eBucks "purchase" and this card fit the bill and damn if it isn't prettier in person.

When I finally decided I wanted to use my eBucks to pick up another Mike Trout autograph for the collection I still had a cap of what I could "purchase" as I was not going to spend a single penny out of pocket to pick one up. At the same time I wanted a copy that would probably grade out as a gem mint 9.5 from BGS when I submit my next batch in March. And of course it had to be an on card autograph as well.

So the search began and not surprisingly there were not may copies that fit my criteria as most were cost prohibitive. Couple weeks passed and this one popped up on the bay with a very high BIN price. Thankfully it had a best offer option but still, the starting point was high. This card hails from the re release of the 2015 Tribute brand which was notoriously recalled due to quality problems. As you can see they were re released in non circulated cases which supposedly preserves the card's condition. This is the black parallel which is numbered out of 50 and with the signature looking perfect and non streaky I decided this was the one I wanted. It was now negotiating time.

It was mid December when this came up for sale and all I can say was that it was perfect timing (luck) once again on my part when I contacted the seller. First off I had to ask if he would let me lock in the card at an agreed price so I could use my eBucks 3 weeks later when they became available. Once he agreed to that I crossed my fingers he would accept a very "low" offer. What I didn't know till after we agreed on everything is that he was basically leaving eBay as he was getting his internet service cut off so I think he was trying to unload his inventory at any reasonable cost and I popped in at the right time. He took my offer and was a man of his word and honored our price and when my eBucks became available on the 3rd of this month he promptly shipped out the card to me and I couldn't be happier. Card looks to be at the very worst a mint 9 card but I think there is a 50/50 chance that it could gem which is obviously what I am hoping for.

Another quarter done and I picked up 2 great cards at no cost to me. Already working towards the next quarter but as always the Christmas one is always the one that bares the biggest "purchase" but I am sure I can find something I will like in April.


Forty-Three
of
Fifty

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment