Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Card of the Day - 2003 Bowman Chrome : Willie Mays Autograph (#/150) BGS Graded Mint 9.0


... and for the 2nd time (and probable last) since I reentered the baseball card hobby I have pursued and acquired an autograph card of a New York/San Francisco Giant. The horror !!! Though I "hate" the Giants and will never be fan of theirs. I am not blind to the talent that the have amassed through the years. With that said there are still only two Giants that I wanted to ever an on card autograph of and Willie Mays here is the 2nd of the 2 to finally be obtained.

Of the 2 players Willie here was the priority due to his age. Not wishing any bad to come Mr. Mays but he is getting up there in age and I wanted to get his on card autograph before all there is are sticker autographs left. While there were plenty of cards to choose from I wanted one that had a nice clean signature and in the end I decided I wanted one that was graded even though that probably would not raise the value of the card as it was mainly wanted for easier to file purposes. The other good thing was that I just wanted one that was in mint form as gem mint was not a need though if I did come across one on a discount I wouldn't hesitate to try to grab it. I never found a 9.5 so a 9 was what is was going to be.


Minty nine

I would have loved to have gotten my hands on a Topps Five Star but those were too pricey as I was holding funds over from comic sales so I had a cap that I was not going to go over. I finally settled in on this oldie but goody from 2003. A nice graded copy from the Bowman Chrome issue. It is a mint 9 with a book value of $150-300 in raw form and past eBay sales of this same conditioned (graded) card were around $200 so I knew what to expect or so I thought.

When all was said and done I ended up with this graded beauty for a little more than what the raw was booking for on the low end. Not too shabby. And with that I "welcome" another Giant into my collection. All kidding aside, Willie was a great player and deserves all the accolades that he receives and I am happy to once again have a Mays autograph in my collection as I had it in ball form but that has long been gone.


Gem autograph

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment