Thursday, October 22, 2015

Card of the Day - 2014 Bowman : Oscar Taveras Oversized (Jumbo) Purple Ice Autograph (22/25)


With this card now in hand I can officially say I have started yet ANOTHER project but thankfully it is only has 10 cards in it. Of course there are only 25 copies of each so that can hamper me of completing it anytime soon but I won't be discouraged and hope to finish it in the next couple of years.

When I did a trade with Frankie a couple months back I picked up my first ever oversized card in the form of Dodgers super prospect Julio Urias. I wanted it more for him and not the uniqueness of the card's size. I also luckily got a gem mint return on it when I submitted it to BGS for grading. You can read about that HERE .

Once I got it back and the wife saw it she said those we "hers". Ha Ha. She loves all things purple and thinks they are the best looking cards out there. I didn't know how many players were featured in the set but once I found out that total was only 10 I thought this would a nice little project I could do. Of course going forward I knew each and everyone would be submitted to BGS for grading as in the case it makes it so much easier to file away since they don't fit in any "conventional" box for storage. With that thinking I want to get the best copies possible as I do love me some gem mints.

The good thing with these cards it seems that on the aftermarket the closing sale prices are no way near what they book for. For example this Oscar card books for $60-120. I would never touch it for that amount but with this copy's starting asking price of $25 I was all in on it. At auction's end I was the only one to bid on it so with that I won my 2nd oversized purple ice autograph. With it in hand I would say it has a very good chance at gem mint but 50/50 on the autograph earning a 9 instead of a 10 as it is a tad streaky.

2 down of the planned 10 to acquire.


Twenty-Two
of
Twenty-Five

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment