Monday, October 26, 2015

Card of the Day - 2011/14 Bowman : Corey Seager All-American Classic AFLAC Autograph (137/235) BGS Graded Gem Mint 9.5


I went and did something that most of you probably would have not done especially if you already had a copy of an autograph card and decided to pick another one. I ended up selling an autograph of a "proven" star for an autograph of an "unproven" prospect. Puig for Seager and yet I am happy I did it and would do it again.


The 9.5 I was chasing after.

This card might look at a tad familiar to long time readers as I already have one in my collection. I picked it up in raw form and sent in to BGS for grading and it came back as an unsatisfactory mint 9 grade. Yup, it came back as "just" mint. You can read about it HERE . Most of you would probably be happy with that return but on certain cards and certain players I demand to have a gem mint copy and when I received that 9 back I was determined to still add a gem mint of this card to my collection. Yes I know, I'm picky but I think this and his Bowman Chrome card from 2012 are going to be key pieces to have and wanted to get them before Seager gets called up to the big league team. (edit: at time of this write he had not been called up but as of today we know he was and did quite well)


137 / 235

I still had a ball featuring Yasiel Puig. For some reason I didn't sell it during the ball purge of last year but I still knew it held value and I guess in the back of mind I was just waiting for the right time to sell it and pick up something I really wanted. That time was now.

I saw this Seager pop up on eBay and knew I wanted it but the seller was asking too much for it but every 7 days it would go unsold and he would drop the price ever so slightly till one week the amount was in my wheelhouse and it was time for me to win it. I put the Puig ball up on eBay and as expected it sold for what I needed for this card and after 7 days I was officially declared the winner of this gem mint beauty and couldn't be happier. I finally had a copy of this card in 9.5 form to call my own.


The all important 10 on autograph

Some of you probably wonder why I didn't just sell my mint Seager and pay the slight difference to acquire this one. I can see that point of view but there were a few things that made me decide against that. Puig is a very good player but I don't know if he will ever achieve much more and since I got out of collecting balls it wasn't that big of a loss to me considering I have a few autographs of Puig on card which I value more and they are graded gem mint as well. Seager on the other hand looks to be a beast when he gets the call and IF he doesn't pan out like I and a lot of people think he will I can sell that mint 9 at another time and pick up something else up. Hell, maybe another Puig autograph. For the time being though I rather have 2 of these to play with than 1 ball that doesn't hold my interest hence the swap.

Thank you for reading and have a blessed day.

-Penguin

No comments:

Post a Comment