Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Card of the Day - 2014 Topps Museum : Adrian Gonzalez Silver Framed Autograph ( 7 / 10 )


I have been a fan of these framed autograph cards from the Topps Museum set since I returned to the hobby early last year but this is the first time I have been able to acquire one at a reasonable price. A lot of that is due to the restrictions I put on myself for this particular autograph set.

These cards all come with a silver signature which other than blue is my favorite color for signatures. A few problems come with these framed Museum cards though.

One, they come in 3 different frame colors. First is gold numbered to 15. I hate gold and even if I didn't a silver autograph wrapped around by a gold frame doesn't look good to me. So that color was out. Next up is a silver frame which is numbered to 10. Silver on silver is good and the most "plentiful" as the third color is black and would be my first choice but those are numbered to only 5.

And the second problem it seems with this brand that Topps got lazy and give the players dull and/or crappy pens as a lot of the signatures seem to be smeared or "dry". So I had to look for a nice signature on a silver or black frame which meant only 15 combined copies out there for me to search for at an acceptable price. Well I finally won one.

Adrian's cards seem to have escaped the crappy pen curse and with him being one of the "lesser" players in the sets his sales were lower than most. The card is number 7 of 10 so I took that as a sign as I should win this with 7 being my lucky number. Sold a very limited Dee Gordon card ( sold high at the right time ) which covered the cost of this Adrian card.

Card was in hand a week later and looks to be perfect in every way. My 1st and hopefully not last framed autograph card.


Seven of Ten

5 comments: