Thursday, June 12, 2014

BGS Submission Update Four - 2013 Topps Five Star : Frank Thomas Base Autograph Rainbow Parallel ( 2 / 25 ) Now Graded and Slabbed a Gem Mint 9.5


Second to last post and there are two reasons why this is not number one for the week. More on that tomorrow.

The big hurt. I loved watching this man play ball. He seemed to just crush every ball that his bat made contact with. I had a signed ball of his but when I sold it off I had to reacquire his autograph in some card form. Finally settled in on this beauty from Topps Five Star and when it came in I knew I would be sending it in for grading. Unlike Bryce's and tomorrow's subject this was not an investment piece per se. With his career over I don't expect much movement on Frank's cards but having this very limited ( 25 copies ) one in gem mint could never hurt. I did my homework on this card and prior to me acquiring it I believed it would grade out to gem mint and when it did reach my house there was nothing that made me change my mind.

Five Star is notorious for corner issues but I had great luck with my Koufax submission that you can see HERE and Frank's card looked like there shouldn't be any issues. As expected the autograph grade came back a pristine 10 so now the question was what the overall grade would be for the card. Surprisingly the corners came in at a 9 which meant I needed the other three sub grades to earn a 9.5 so the overall would be gem mint. Thankfully that is what happened.

I am now the proud owner of the only gem mint ( only one graded period so far ) of Frank Thomas's rainbow parallel autograph from 2013 Five Star. A great looking card of this hall of famer just got better with it being encased with a gem mint grade.


1 of 1 in the world as of today
= )


Just me here




No comments:

Post a Comment